
I've heard and read about this over and over again; I guess its always just gone in one ear and out the other, but I finally decided to try making my own home cleaning products. Like we've been hearing for years, you can clean almost anything with a little vinegar. Maybe I just thought homemade stuff wouldn't clean as well, or maybe we are so bombarded with the endless new products and the convenience promised by commercial products, we don't even think twice about an alternative. So far, I'm very pleasantly surprised!! The solutions work wonderfully, are cheap and easy to make and are super convenient (since you really only need one bottle of cleaner made to clean almost everything).
The first, most basic cleaner: In a 32oz spray bottle mix 15oz distilled white vinegar, 15oz distilled water, and about 12 drops of melaleuca/tea tree oil (you can use tap water, the distilled just prolongs the life of the oil).
The vinegar degreases, deodorizes, removes soap scum and hard water deposits. The tea tree oil kills bacteria and fungus. I use this spray for cleaning almost any surface (anywhere I'd use 409); disinfecting the kitchen table, my son's highchair, cleaning the stove, and sink fixtures, etc.
This mix also cleaned my shower better than anything I've ever bought in the store. Just spray on the walls, sprinkle some baking soda on a sponge and wipe the walls down. Same thing for the toilet bowl (you can use a pumice stone for tougher stains).
...oh, and as you may have witnessed while stopped at a traffic light in a busy city, nothing cleans glass better than vinegar and newspaper!
Daily shower spray: In another 32oz spray bottle, combine 3oz rubbing alcohol, 5oz hydrogen peroxide, 5 oz of vinegar (some recipes called for a teaspoon of jet dry instead), about 4 drops of Dawn dish detergent (the original blue kind), and fill to the top with distilled water.
Mist the shower after the last shower of the day to prevent soap scum and hard water deposits.
Furniture duster: I normally do the bulk of my dusting with the brush attachment on the vacuum, but when I want to clean and brighten the wood, I've found that this works and smells great... mix 2 Tbs of lemon juice (either from a bottle or from the real thing) with about 6 drops of lemon oil and a couple drops of olive oil. It also works well diluted with a little water. If you want to mix up a generous amount in a spray bottle, just be sure to store it in the fridge so it doesn't go rancid.
Just dampen a soft cloth. Wax on. Wax off. (Steve said I should clarify...you don't really have to wax on, wax off. Just wipe it like you normally would)
Things to remember.
-Tea tree/melaleuca oil can be toxic to pets and people if ingested. Keep out of reach of curious ones.
-Vinegar is acidic and can eventually eat through finishes. Use sparingly on delicate surfaces such as hardwood floors and be sure to dilute.
-If you don't like the smell of the tea tree oil, I've read that a lot of people will add lavender or another scent to mellow it out a little (haven't tried this yet).
-When buying the essential oils, look for ones in dark brown glass. These last longer. Also keep them out of the sun and at room temp.
-When buying melaleuca oil, check label to make sure it contains terpinen (this is what gives the oil it's disinfecting quality).
These are definitely worth a try, and I hope that if you do try, you have as much fun with it as I do (sounds crazy, I know. But it is actually pretty satisfying). You'll be saving money, clearing your cleaning pantry of clutter, reducing packaging waste, and improving your environment...the environment in your home will be healthier and you will be reducing the number of harmful chemicals used to produce most household cleaners.
And please share if you have other homemade wonders that you like to use!
Awesome Emily!
ReplyDeleteI have a natural yoga mat cleaner for you. Uses witch hazel (disinfectant) and essential oils (I used teatree oil in mine as you did above as the antifungal):
http://www.ehow.com/how_5115727_make-yoga-mat-disinfectant.html
-Susan
oooh! thanks!! and an added bonus, I'll be reminded of Charlie when I do yoga (by the smell of his witch hazel wipes). :-)
ReplyDeleteGreat tips, will have to try!
ReplyDelete